10 All Time Greatest Hit Nepali Singer [Updated 2020]
TrendzNepal is back with the list of the top 10 all-time greatest hit Nepali Singers. In Nepal, we heard various kinds of melodious music such as Nepali folks, Classic, pop songs, Nepali movie songs, and many more. And there are many singers who present such songs or music with their melodious voice.
10 All-Time Greatest Hit Nepali Singer [Updated 2020]
It is very difficult to list the hit Nepali Singers as there are many and gaining popularity with the fans. But TrendzNepal has compiled the list of all-time greatest hit Nepali Singers that have been hit for more than a decade. The band vocalist/singers aren’t mentioned in the listing such as Adrian Pradhan, Amrit Gurung, etc who are recognized as the greatest. Let’s give them a look.
Swar Samrat Narayan Gopal was one of the most popular Nepali singers and is still known as the king of music. Apart from singing, he was also a composer and also called "King of Tragedy" because of composing numerous tragedy songs. During his lifetime, he had released 137 songs. His songs were mainly played along with sitar, harmonium and flutes. Gopal was able to sing songs of all Nepalese genres. Narayan Gopal also worked as a music director during the 1950s to 70s. His songs have been used in various Nepali movies and dramas. He started his musical career by composing his first song with his teacher Manik Ratna and his friend Prem Dhoj Pradhan.
- Date of Birth: October 4, 1939
- Birth Place: Kathmandu, Nepal
- Full Name: Narayan Gopal Guruacharya
- Active Years: 1960 to 1990
- Also Known AS: Swar Samrat and King of Tragedy
- Genres: Modern Classical and Semi Classical
- Popular songs: Malae Nasodha, Kehi Mitho Baata Gara, Jun Phool Maile, Siri ma Siri, Mero Pyaro Okhaldhunga
- Awards: Best Singer (Radio Nepal), Ratna Record Award, Best Composition (Radio Nepal), Gorkha Dakshin Bahu, Chhinalata Award.
2. Phatteman Rajbhandari
Phatteman Rajbhandari is one of the renowned singers of Nepal. He is recognized for his iconic voice in Nepali music. Rajbhandari is also considered to be the groundbreaker in Nepali Classical music, where he has performed in about 400 music either contributing with his vocal or with music. During his young age, he started singing Bhajans and performing some acts. He used to get a rare chance to expose his talent in Radio Nepal. “Yesto Pani Hudo Raicha” was the song composed by his childhood friend which brought him massive recognition.
- Date of Birth: November 28, 1936
- Birth Place: Kathmandu, Nepal
- Full Name: Phatteman Raj bhandari
- Active Years: 1951 A.D - 2007 A.D
- Genres: Modern Classical and Semi Classical
- Popular songs: Marna Baru Garho Hunna, Banai Khayo Dadelo Ley, Yesto Pani Hudo Raichha, Sannani ko Galai Ma and Rato Ra Chandra.
- Awards: Sujbharajyabhisek Padak, Chinnalata Giti Puraskar, Prabal Gorkha Dakshin Bahu, Birendra Aishwarya Sewa Padak and many more.
3. Bhakta Raj Acharya
Bhakta Raj Acharya is the popular singer and music composer. He is also well known as Bhajan Shiromani. Acharya has sung various Bhajans in Nepali Language. He has recorded almost 450 songs and composed 25 to 30 songs. He contributed in Nepali Music Industry for a very few periods but contributed a lot. Acharya started his music career in 2030 B.S after he acquired a gold medal in All Nepali Song Competition organized by Radio Nepal. Satya Raj Acharya and Sworoop Raj Acarya are his two sons, who have been contributing in Nepali Music Industry now and following in their father’s footsteps.
- Date of Birth: 1942 A.D
- Active Years: 2030 to 2046
- Birth Place: Dhankuta, Nepal
- Full Name: Bhakta Raj Acharya
- Also Known AS: Bhajan Shiromani
- Genres: Modern Classical, Semi Classical and Bhajans
- Popular songs: Mutu Jali Rahecha, Jati Chot Dinchau, Hajar Sapana Ko, Maya Meri Sanjha Bani, Hjar Aankha Herne, Merto Sadhana ko.
- Awards: Swami Narayanacharya Shruti Samman
4. Prem Dhoj Pradhan
Prem Dhoj Pradhan is a popular singer, composer and regional playback singer of Nepali Music Industry. Pradhan generally sang a song in two major languages of Nepal i.e. Nepal Bhasa and Nepali. Pradhan is known as the Golden voice, King of Romantic Melodies and recognized as the first person to perform with guitar in Nepal. In 1965 he sang a song with Indian playback singer Usha Mangeshkar whereas in 1985 he sang a song with Asha Bhosle. So , he is considered to be the first Nepali singer to sing with Indian singers. Pradhan has recorded about 700 songs on Radio Nepal.
- Date of Birth: 6 June 1938
- Birth Place: Sindhupalchok, Chautara, Nepal
- Full Name: Prem Dhoj Pradhan
- Active Years: 1944 to present
- Also Known As: Golden Voice and King of Romantic Melodies
- Genres: Nepali, Nepal Bhasa, Playback Singer
- Popular songs: Goreto Tyo Gau Ko, Timi Aye Mero Dilma, Maya Namara Mayalu, Wae Ji Chantha, Rajamati Kumati.
- Awards: Rastriya Pratibha Puraskar, Narayan Gopal Sangeet Summan, Rupak Kala Samman and many more.
5. Tara Devi
Tara Devi is a renowned Nepali female singer. Her real name was Dol Kumari Karki. She is also considered to be the Nightingale of Nepal. Tara has recorded around 4000 songs. Most of her music is based on patriotism and love. Tara Devi started singing at the age of 7. At the age of 5 she got an opportunity to sing in Radio Nepal. Everyone was impressed after listening to her song. She has also pursued her bachelor in music. Tara Devi died at the age of 60 diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.
- Date of Birth: 15 January 1945
- Birth Place: Indrachok, Kathmandu
- Full Name: Dol Kumari Karki
- Active Years: 1952 A.D - 2004 A.D
- Also Known As: Nightingale of Nepal
- Genres: Classical, Prayer songs and many more
- Popular songs: Subhakamana, Yakantama Eklai, Timilae Diyeka, Ghaam Ma Pani Maya, Akha Haru Le Runa.
- Awards: Mahendra-Ratna award, Indra Rajya Laxmi award, Jagadamba award, Chinna Lata award, ’Maina’.
6. Aruna Lama
Aruna Lama is one of the best female singers of Nepal. She is also known as the “Nightingale of the Hills”. She has sung in many Nepali songs. Lama started to sing from the age of 7. Her uncle C.B Lama was the one who inspired her to sing. Aruna sang her first song in 1961, which was composed by Amber Gurung and the lyric was by Bhupi Sherchan.
- Date of Birth: 9 September 1945
- Birth Place: Darjeeling, India
- Full Name: Aruna Lama
- Active Years: 1952 A.D to 1998 A.D
- Also Known As: Nightingale of the Hills
- Genres: Classical
- Popular songs: Kancha Malai Sunko Tara, Phool Lai Sodhey, Pohor Saal Khusi Phatyo, Nepali Gaurav Garchau Afnai Panama, Manma Timro
- Awards: Sangit Puraskar, Sur Sringar Sammelan Puraskar, Mitrasen Puraskar (Assam Nepali Sahitya /Sanskritik Parishad), Dishari Puraskar (Kolkata), Bhanu Academy Puraskar (Darjeeling), Nepali Chalchitra Puraskar (for Maitighar), Chinnlata Geet Puraskar and many more.
7. Nabin K Bhattrai
Nabin K Bhattarai is the best singer of Nepal. He is also a popular songwriter and composer of Nepal. He started his music career as vocalist and rhythm guitarist for a band named “The Steel Wheels”. After some time this band dissolved and he worked as a solo artist. Nabin released his first song Aankhama Timilai, which was able to grab the attention of Nepalese. Bhattrai is recognised as the first pop-singer of Nepal.
- Date of Birth: March 14, 1972
- Birth Place: Dillibazar, Kathmandu
- Full Name: Nabin Bhattrai
- Active Years: 1982 to present
- Also Known As: King of Nepali Pop
- Genres: Pop, Blues and Psychedelic
- Popular songs: Timile Herda, Dobato, Ali Alikati, Sajha Pakha, Raat Bityo.
- Awards: Shikhar Hits FM Music Awards, Chhinnamasta Award, Hits FM Music Awards.
8. Ram Krishna Dhakal
Ram Krishna Dhakal is a well known Modern, Pop and Playback Singer of Nepal. He is also considered to be the second singing maestro of late Narayan Gopal. He has also worked in many reality shows as a judge. Ram Krishna Dhakal is also said to be the King of Melody. At the age of 14 Dhakal recorded his first song in 2045 B.S.
- Date of Birth: July 23, 1974
- Birth Place: Nijghadi, Bara
- Full Name: Ram Krishna Dhakal
- Active Years: 1987 to present
- Also Known As: King of Melody
- Genres: Modern, Pop and Playback
- Popular songs: Orali Lageko, Pahadako, Chhuk Chhuke Rail, Aawaran, Bachunjeli Lai.
- Awards: Abhiyan Award, Prabal Gorkha Dakshin Bahu Medal, Gitanjali Cine Award and many more.
9. Sugam Pokharel
Sugam Pokharel is a renowned Nepali pop singer, music composer, songwriter and radio jockey. He came as a solo artist in 2001 after not being successful working with Sudin Pokhrel a.k.a DA69. He first recorded Mero Sansar as a solo artist, which became the top seller in Nepal. Sugam is also regarded as the pop king of Nepal.
- Date of Birth: September 20, 1979
- Birth Place: Mangalbari, Morang
- Full Name: Sugam Pokharel
- Active Years: 1995 to present
- Also Known As: “Pop king”
- Genres: Pop
- Popular songs: Kasto ho yo, She’z Da Bomb, Pashupatinath ko Darshan, Bhanchhu Aaja, Kasam ho.
- Awards: Close Up Hits F.M Music Award, Sagarmatha Music Award.
10. Raju Lama
Raju Lama is a popular Nepali singer and songwriter. He works as a lead singer for the band Mongolian Heart. Lama not only sings a Nepali song, but also sings Tibetan and Tamang songs. He has also worked as the coach in The Voice of Nepal Season 2.
- Date of Birth: 16 March 1978
- Birth Place: Baruwa, Nepal
- Full Name: Raju Lama
- Active Years: 1993 to present
- Genres: Pop
- Popular songs: Timilai Dekhera, Herda Herdae, Parkhaima, Halla Chalexa, Sayad Timro Batoma
- Awards: Sajjan Smriti Pop Song Competition Winner Band, Hits FM Award, Aha Pop Music Award, Music Nepal Award and many more.
Other Popular and hit singers of Nepal
- Sabin rai
- Anju panta
- Yogeshwor amatya
- Nima Rumba
- Nati kaji shrestha
Summary of Top 10 All Time Greatest Hit Nepali Singers
So, these are the top 10 hit Nepali Singers of Nepal. You surely have known them. If you have any other favorite then please mention them in our comment section.
- Narayan Gopal (King of Nepali Music)
- Phatteman Rajbhandari
- Bhaktaraj Acharya (Bhajan Samrat)
- Prem Dhoj Pradhan (King of Melodies)
- Tara Devi (Nightingale of Nepali music)
- Aruna Lama
- Nabin K Bhattrai
- Ram Krishna Dhakal
- Sugam Pokhrel
- Raju Lama